Reduce Your Energy Use
By reducing energy usage by 5%, Americans could save approximately $11.5 billion and significantly reduce pollution from burning fossil fuels. The air pollution emitted from electric power plant sis trapped by falling rain, which then drains into the local waterways and the Bay.
What you can do...
- Use compact florescent light bulbs or LED light bulbs, which use 75% less energy and last longer, instead of incandescent light bulbs.
- Turn off lights, electronics, and chargers that are not in use.
- Perform a home energy audit and weatherize your home. Check that your house is properly insulated to keep heat or AC from being wasted.
- Let clothes and dishes air-dry instead of using an electric dryer or the heat-dry setting on your dishwasher.
- Install a programmable thermostat to adjust the temperature settings at night and when you are away from home.
- Look into using alternative energy sources such as wind, solar or geothermal. Many power companies offer renewable energy as a more sustainable option in your home. After a little research, you may find that switching is easier, and cheaper than you had originally thought!